Monday, January 31, 2011

A friend gets some bad news, Lulu's very saddened, and I don't know what to think?


Today I'm thankful for...
Little girls
Sunny days
New friends
A healthy back

Lulu and I attended a breast cancer support group dinner last night. I noticed Lulu is taking a greater interest in seeking out those in the community that have gone through the difficult breast cancer journey. I'm glad. This also gives me a chance to meet with the husbands of the survivors, so I can get useful information on how to better support my recovering wife? The gathering was very nice, and the pizza was splendid. We visited a home that the owners have a backyard brick pizza oven (handmade by the owners). What a great what to cook the Italian pies. All the crusts were laid out from wheat, to honey wheat, and white crusts, and then we could place a variety of topping on top. I like the goat cheese, pecans, and tomato one the best, but I would say that they were all so good. I think that ended up eating four or so pieces? (that's way more then I would normally have). As I indulged in the taste delights, I couldn't help but think about how lucky a man I was to have a beautiful, very strong wife as my wife. I was also thinking how great it is to be meeting so many new friends that have cancer in common. Just to be in the presence of all these people made me feel blessed. I could see the interaction that Lulu was having with the "ladies" and I could see the appreciation for life she was also feeling. I'm not sure that I have ever experiences more fulling, interesting conversations in my life? Lulu and I could have participated all night, but as the night grow later we needed to get home for the kids.

During the breast cancer support party Lulu received some sad news about one of her breast cancer friends. This news really effected both of us. Knowing that someone you have been sharing experiences, treatment, and emotions with has found out that they will be needing more treatment because the doctors found new cancer, is so very deflating. Finding this out while at a breast cancer gathering was bordering on surreal. God has such a way of touching you, and his timing always seems appropriate. I could tell that Lulu was thinking that the same her friend was facing could be awaiting her? The unknown is many times better left that way. I spent the rest of the night avoiding my opportunity to consul my wife, but instead I found myself avoiding the issue. I want to believe that Lulu's fate in this cancer fight will only be positive, but knowing that she might experience a recurrence or worse a formation of new cancer is part of the reality of the disease.

Even more disturbing yet was that just last Friday Lulu had a follow up appointment with the local oncologist (she found someone in Reno to keep tabs on her medications, future treatments, and emergent needs). Lulu really wanted me to meet the new oncologist, and you could tell that she really liked this doctor. I meet her at the appointment not really knowing what was to be discussed? When the oncologist arrived (we waited 15 minutes, that's pretty good) I was immediately impressed by his friendly demeanor and his through knowledge of Lulu's past cancer history. After a few minutes of discussing what has been happening with her treatments, and how she has been feeling; the discussion become the future. A big part of the topic was what else could be done in the fight against this disease? His recommendation was to have Lulu start some other types of drug treatments that have been shown to reduce the risk of recurring and/or new cancers showing up. I don't recall the drug choices, but there were a couple that were discussed. This physician was very concerned about the bone marrow test that UCSF breast cancer clinic preformed just last month. He felt that since the cancer cell count had increased in six months that Lulu "might want to have a bone scan, and a PET scan to confirm her health? Then something really interesting happened, he recommended that she have the test on Valentines Day. I thought that he was kidding at first, but I think that was the earliest date that these test could be arranged? I guess that some people celebrate Valentine's Day with a nice dinner and maybe some flowers? Lulu will get to celebrate with a battery of tests, and some new drug choices? The doctor wasn't joking I could tell that he thinks Lulu's health is so important that Valentine's Day can't be soon enough.

Lulu's handling the need for more tests well, but I'm really concerned about her ability to hold up knowing that her cancer colleague had a poor diagnosis? This will be a difficult two weeks as we both wait for the results of her next set of tests. Please keep Lulu in your thoughts and prayers, and send me some of your strength.

3 comments:

  1. Jay, Thanks for every post in this blog about Lulu's health status.
    Lulu, you and your family are on my prayers.

    Antonia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep positive thoughts and prayers your way. You family has stayed strong and close...so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Wilkerson:

    Thinking about all of you today and will keep you close in prayers. Stay strong.

    Carol Hill

    ReplyDelete