Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I have returned from a life changing trip






Today I'm grateful for...
Everything that I have
Being back home in Reno
My good health
Running water and electricity

I returned from Belize yesterday at 1 AM. I had the most memorable experience caring for people in Belize. I won't bore you with all the details, but I can tell you that the whole experience was so wonderful I don't know where to start? First, I got to spend the 10 days with both my eldest son, Carter, and my mother. Seeing each other in this light, out of the normal routine, and dealing with stressful situations was so very rewarding to me. I was very hopeful that Carter would be helpful, courteous, and adjust well to the life away from the common routines. Let me tell you, he was way more helpful, courteous, and self motivating then I could have ever imagined. Most of the team members on the trip were surprised to find out that he is only 10 years old. I just hope that he will continue to impress for the years to come (especially those dreaded teen years)?

Second, spending the time with my mom was a close second to being with Carter. I haven't had much chance to be with my mom without the daily routines getting in the way. It was great to see my mom helping with the Belize kids, and socializing with the other participants. The mother/son time was to be cherished. I can only hope that I will get another chance to spend this kind of time with her in the future? I was so very happy that she was the one to encourage me to serve and attend this mission trip.

Third, meeting many new people from all over the country. We had both medical personnel, and construction people to help with the care and construction of a new parish center total of 82 people attended. The relationships build during the 10 days were one's that I'm sure will last a lifetime. I really enjoyed to interactions with the other volunteers, and on returning to the US, I was seriously contemplating returning next year to serve again?

Forth, I really feel that we made a difference in many people's life's. The Belize children live in moderately poor conditions (in comparison to US standards), many of them don't have either electricity or running water. I was surprised by how many kids didn't have even a toothbrush. I see the looks and smiles on their faces when they received their new toothbrushes, paste, and floss was so gratifying. Just educating and interacting with the 400 or so children in the two schools was fulfilling my emotion tank. We ended up educating and applying fluoride to over 400 kids, and also had a chance to care for 30 or so adults too. I think when we finish the week we had extracted over 400 broken down or abscessed teeth? What a great chance to make a difference that we don't get the opportunity to experience very often in our lifetimes.

My goal now is to recruit more health care providers (dentist, hygienists, assistants) to return to Belize to continue where we left off this year. I think that with a few more providers we could really up the care that we give, and possibly educate all the schools in the Dangriga area? (population of 18,000 people).

I also have been utterly impressed by the outreach of support for this mission trip. So many people were telling us that they were going to be praying for our safe journey and return, and many of them donated money to the cause. I think that we raised over $5000 from family, friends, and people with huge hearts (though our expenses were quite a bit more then that). Next year I would like to raise even more money, and I have come up with the idea of riding my bike from Belize City to Dangriga (this is a six hour van ride, 240 mile round trip). Dangriga is where we provided most of our care for the children. For each mile, people could pledge money and those funds could be used to pay for the treatment of local Belize women's breast cancer (chemotherapy, radiation, drugs, physical therapy, and transportation/lodging in Belize City, the nearest cancer treatment center). What a great way to help in an area, breast cancer, that I have gained much experience in; and at the same time provide the kids in Belize with much needed dental education and treatment? Now I have to find a way to convince Lulu to make the trip, so she can not only be the role model for the breast cancer patients, but also see how her fight can help others facing the same dreadful disease. I can't think of a better way to share all my loves in life; bike riding, dentistry, teaching, and love for my wife. January 2012 can't get here fast enough!(this is the next Belize mission trip date).

I'm so glad to be back in Reno, and I can tell you that I'm not going to take anything for granted after seeing what many of the Belizean people live without. I want to thank God for blessing me with so much. I'm so very blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment